As a local, siteseeing in Penang is still a very interesting option for Chandra and I. I have learned about the land and its life here as my father passed fascinating stories from his youth.
We spent considerable time listening to dad, uncles and aunts narrating their experiences, their hardships and adventures on life in the early and mid 20th century.
I felt very humbled by my elders recalling the horrid stories of the 2 World Wars they went through through siteseeing in Penang.
See the places Chandra and I have visited. Google make it easy for me to make this map of interesting place in Penang. I will add more as I go along. Meanwhile enjoy this map of Penang.
Oral histories are indeed a dying art for they show appropriate respect for the lives and experiences of those who come before us.
And just as important, they document those remembrances, for once those lives are over, that personal knowledge is lost forever.
Unfortunately, we live in a time now where everyone seems to be solely looking ahead, as though we deem nothing in the past worthy of our attention.
The future is always fresh and exciting, and it has a pull on us that times past simply can never muster. Yet it may well be that our greatest wealth as human beings can be discovered by simply looking behind us.
With this, I will go through places in Penang for SiteSeeing I love most.
Site seeing Air Itam
As far back to my younger days, the whole area of Air Itam is our play ground. We walked the Air Itam dam, hike up the Penang Hills.
If friends visit us, we act as tourist guide taking them up to Kek Lok Si Temple. There are many interesting places in Central Penang.
- Chen Kon Sze or 1200 steps temple, in Paya Terubong Hills
- 7 sisters of Nine Emperor Gods, foothills of Kek Lok Si Temple
- Datuk Kong shrine, foothills of Kek Lok Si Temple
- Anti War Memorial, roundabout Penang Hill, Air Itam wet Market and Hye Keat Estate
- Penang Jade Emperor Temple, foothills of Penang Hills
- Thnee Kong Thua, more stories of the Jade Emperor Temple
- Jade Emperor Photos, some activities of devotees at the Temple
- Penang Bat Cave or Bit Poh Tong, very near Jade Emperor Temple
Site seeing Bayan Lepas and Batu Maung
- Foot Print Temple, Admiral Cheng He Temple, Batu Maung near the War Museum.
- Penang Snake Temple, on the way to Bayan Lepas Airport, old way through the Free Trade Zone.
- Snake Temple Photos, some pictures of the Temple,
Site seeing Pulau Tikus
- Dhammikarama Burmese Temple, opposite Sleeping Buddha Temple.
- Ancestor Worship and Dana Offering are a few activities practiced in this temple.
Site seeing Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang
The privacy you need when you are courting is either watching movies, picnics. These are the times we treasured the most. But for us, we used to go round the island on a bike for SiteSeeing.
Thirty over couples, boy friends with their girl friends grabbing them tightly as they sped on their motor bikes. Bungalow stays, all night dancing, pot luck is something I won't want to forget. But after 20 years, the scenes have changed.
- Batu Ferringhi Beaches,
- Penang Adventure Zone, Golden Sands Resorts
- Hotels, luxury apartments
- Tanjung Bungah
- Teluk Bahang
- Penang National Park
- Shorelines and bays over the tip of the north.
- Sri Singamuga Kaliamman, Teluk Bahang
Site seeing Georgetown
- Goddess Of Mercy Temple Jalan Masjid Kapitan Kling
- Goddess Of Mercy Birthday Celebration and activities of goddess of Mercy
- St George Church and Photos of Church
- Penang Sri Mariamman Temple, prayers to Mother to Lord Muruga
- An hour tour at Cheong Fatt Mansion or the Blue Mansion
- The father of modern China set his base in this humbled Straits China shop house called 120 Armenian Street
- The Penang Islamic Museum features many of unforgettable teachers of their time.
- The High Court has since been restored to its former glory
- High Court architecture restored with Doric and Ionic columns.
- Look the photos to discover what a find, a hidden stained glass dome.
- Logan memorial is shifted from inside of the Court house
- Tow Boo Kong Temple, Raja Uda New Temple. Follow the route coming from Lebuhraya Linkgaran Luar Butterworth (BORR)
- Month September, the Festivities at Tow Boo Kong Temple
- Kepala Batas
- Kepala Batas 9 Emperor Gods Temple. In the middle of P203 Jalan Datuk HJ Ahmad Badawi and Jalan Bertam 1
There are certainly many many places of interest, heritage architectures of Anglo Indian, Muslim and the Straits Chinese.
Penang is not awarded Unesco Heritage City for only its people and food but also for its endeavor to preserve our lumber yardful of heritage all over Penang.
As I spent hours site seeing, I can tell you I am still in awe by the efforts our founding fathers have created for us. Let us retain it a little longer.