Kuih Bangkit, is a Penang Nyonya cookie and it is an all time favorite in Penang. It became our Malaysian culture to include this cookie in our Malaysian Festivals. Such a delicious Malaysian Food, and it is not to be miss!
Kuih Bangkit is very soft and melts in the mouth. mmmmmmm Got oooommph, one would say when it melts in your mouth.
Ee Choo and Jessie, my friends have been making it for years. Year after year, orders keep increasing until they have to turn some customers away.
"If you are not a regular yearly customer, we can not manage to make in time", echoes both of them. We have stop taking new orders as both of us can not cope with the demand.
Her customers love her Kuih done in darker tone! The longer it is bake, it is the better. Like both Ee Choo and Jessie, my research takes me to review customer's recommendation and satisfaction.
Ee Choo makes her Kuih using Sago. Learning to cook? Call , or write to speak and my domain (@my-island-penang.com).
While being a typical Nyonya, I prefer Kuih made from tapioca flour, as I love the aromatic flavor of santan as you close your mouth.
- 350g/13 oz. tapioca or sago flour. Fry the flour with the screw pine leaves till light, about 15 minutes. Cool it before use.
- 5 pieces Screw pine (pandan) leaves, Wash, cut to two inches length.
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste (as seasoning is personal)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 140g/5 oz. Caster Sugar
- 150 ml thick santan from not too old coconut
- Red food coloring
Dusted trays with flour for Kuih Bangkit
Preparation of working table for Kuih Bangkit.
Roll to a ball sufficient for pressing into Bangkit mold
- Fill a small pouch with tapioca flour for dusting moulds.
- Animals or flower moulds.
- The moulds can be rinsed when it gets stuck with too much dusting flour. Air dries before use.
- A small knife for cutting off excessive flour.
As for Kuih Bangkit with Sago flour, it is nice too but tends to leave a powdery taste in your mouth. But that is me. Her customers thinks differently so her customers must be right.
Darker, browner and less sugar is their requirement. Living in present times of watchful health and proper food diets, Kuih Bangkit can still be enjoyed by both old, young and health conscious.
- Sift flour gently together with salt.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar till pale and fluffy then add 1 Tablespoon of Corn oil
- Alternately, add flour mixture and coconut milk. Dough should not be too wet or too dry. At this juncture, do not add all flour in. Leave 3 oz for later use.
- Dust moulds well.
- Roll to sausage size and cut one inch length
- Firmly press into mould. However, do not use too much pressure or the dough will have difficulty coming out.
- Slice off excess with a knife.
- Hold the wooden mould at 45 degree angle and give a firm knock on the working surface.
- Pick it up and arrange in a lined tray.
Cover the rest of Kuih Bangkit dough with a damp cloth.
New Year cookies Kuih Kapit peanut cookie and Jam Tarts
Packed Cookies for sale Spicy and Sweet Cookies.
- You may place the cookies closely as there is not much expansion.
- Rest of the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
- If the mould are stuck in the crevices, use a toothpick or knife to gently get the dough out - not too hard or the carvings might get distorted.
Bake in preheated 170 degree C (340 F) oven for 10 to 15 minutes. The cookies should just begin to have some color. However, some people like to have the fragrance of 'browner' cookies, in which case, you can leave it in the oven for a few more minutes.
Cool. As Ee Choo and Jessie makes over 1000 pieces per day, they completed each process one at a time. Kuih Bangkit is generally eaten during Chinese New Year and Malay Raya.
- Fry the flour the day before and cool it.
- Mix the dough and take only portion for use. The rest is cover with a damp cloth.
- Press and mould all the dough.
- Once all dough is being molded, she starts her baking.
- After Kuih is cooked use a toothpick to mark the cookie eye, if it is an animal. Drop one Edible Red Coloring in a clean dry bowl. Dip a toothpick in edible red coloring and make the animal eye.